10,000 roofs for the energy transition
Using the potential of the sun on as many surfaces as possible
10,000 roofs for energy transition - that is the goal of the regional initiative of the same name. With this vision, the Regional Authority FrankfurtRheinMain wants to promote energy production from renewable energies and increase regional added value. Solar energy is the simplest and most cost-effective way of generating electricity from renewable energies. This potential is to be used more than before - for example on roofs, balconies or facades.
Solar energy in the FrankfurtRhineMain region
In the Climate-Energy-Atlas for the area of the Regional Authority FrankfurtRheinMain:
- about 17,700 solar plants have been recorded and located (status 12/2018),
- almost 2,500 new solar plants have been added since the end of 2015,
- the share of photovoltaics in electricity generation from renewable energies is around 31 percent,
- the share of solar thermal energy in heat generation from renewable energies is around 8.7 percent,
Detailed information for all member municipalities, the (sub)districts and the Regional Authority FrankfurtRheinMain can be found in Data, the spatial representation at municipal level in the Climate-Energy-Atlas.
Advantages of using solar energy
Energy production from the sun offers many advantages:
- The sun provides free energy for electricity and heat.
- The technology is becoming increasingly cheaper.
- Solar plants pay off, good returns can be achieved.
- The technology is very durable - up to 30 years - and mature.
- Solar power is independent of price increases.
- Storage and direct consumption replace the need to purchase electricity from the grid and reduce the load on the grid.
- Solar energy is environmentally friendly and protects our climate.
- Charging stations support e-mobility.
- Direct marketing lowers electricity costs.
- Using your own electricity in business brings competitive advantages.
- "Green energy" is a good argument for producers and consumers.
- Solar energy strengthens the local trade and the regional added value via plant construction and operation.